Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas

When I was younger, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day did not feel like regular days. There was always that tingle in the air that let me know that Christmas was special. Santa had gone down the chimney and I went to my grandma's house for a week and I could watch the VHS tape my mom had recorded of Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, and Charlie Brown Christmas. Christmas was pure magic.

As I got older, Christmas began to feel like a regular day again. Sure, I got presents and visitied family, but that tingle in the air was missing. It felt like any normal day. Maybe it was the fact that I was getting clothes and makeup instead of actual toys, or maybe it was because I didn't believe in Santa anymore, but some of the Christmas magic was missing.

For the most part, Christmas still feels like a regular day. Sometimes I feel like Christmas snuck up on us and we don't have time to appreciate the beautiful lights and shiny wrapping paper.

But there's still the wonderful anticipation that only presents under the tree can bring. There's still the thrill you get when you opened the perfect gift and the thrill that giving the perfect gift. There's the warmth you feel with family and the cute, cozy winter clothes and the pure glee tthat you get when you see a few snowflakes.

Christmas may feel like a regular day sometimes, but even if you're "too old" for Santa Claus and toys, take a look around. Look at the freshly fallen snow on your driveway, your neighbor's Christmas lights, or the beach you went to for vacation. Look at the Christmas ornaments and children's faces when you say that you heard Santa's sleigh ring. Look at the natavity scene and the Christmas carolers and the haphazardly decorated Christmas cookies. There's still some magic left.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

<3
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment